January 2, 2024
The professional engineering workstation market continues to go through a revolution in compute power and capabilities.
Both Intel and AMD have released new, more powerful CPUs. AMD and NVIDIA have also continued to advance GPU compute, with the support of engineering software providers that are taking advantage of GPU acceleration. According to rumors, NVIDIA may also be entering the CPU space soon (while Intel continues to explore discrete GPU products).
As a result, the workstations reviewed in this issue are among some of the most powerful tower and and laptop systems ever released. In addition, we have included some features on configuring a workstation for engineering, and monitor trends.
- HP’s New Z2 Tower G9 Workstation Reclaims the Price/Performance Title
- Small But Powerful: HP Z2 Mini G9
- Top Performance Winner: BOXX APEXX S3
- Almost Perfect: Lenovo ThinkStation P360 Ultra
- Powerful but Pricey: HP Z4 G5 Workstation