Engys Unveils New Version of Helyx Open-Source CFD
The new release also includes updates for all of HELYX's add-on solver modules, namely: Adjoint, Coupled, Marine and Hydro.
May 9, 2022
ENGYS has released 3.5.0 of HELYX, a general-purpose computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software solution for engineering design and optimization based on ENGYS' open-source simulation engine (HELYX-Core). The new release also includes updates for all of HELYX's add-on solver modules, namely: Adjoint, Coupled, Marine and Hydro.
HELYX 3.5.0 offers a range of extended capabilities and code refinements to remove known issues found in the previous release 3.4.0. Some new features added in this version include:
- Mesh: Enhanced performance and robustness for acute reflex snapping around sharp trailing edges.
- Mesh: Improved near-wall layer addition, including new options to prescribe maximum layer thickness for the extrude mesh algorithm, cell splitting based on warpage criteria, and overall increased performance of single-step layer projection.
- Mesh: Faster mesh optimisation turnaround times using relaxed settings and additional quality metrics and options for cell removal.
- Mesh: New GUI visualisation tool to detect mesh leakage.
- Mesh: New binary surface format for geometry entities for faster I/O performance and reduced file size.
- Mesh: New GUI tool to export surface patches to faceted format.
- Setup: New discrete mixing plane and cyclic periodic AMI boundary conditions for turbomachinery and other rotating-stationary sector models.
- Setup: Extended turbo performance monitoring function to deal with sector models and additional output fields.
- Setup: New time-varying mapped data temperature boundary condition.
- Setup: Enhanced total pressure boundary condition for more accurate prediction of static head at the boundary.
- Setup: New adaptive and y+ insensitive Knopp consistent rough wall function.
- Setup: New generic monitoring function to calculate statistical quantities, including moving average, standard deviation, CoV, etc.
- Setup: New Custom Field Calculator to create and output custom fields during or after runtime.
- Setup: Added GUI support for new monitoring function that shows the percentage of the volume that is modelled with LES or RANS when using (I)(D)DES turbulence models.
- View: New View modifier object to apply transformations to a selected object (i.e. mirror, translation, rotation, scale and linear/cylindrical array).
- View: Enhanced Point Widget tool to inspect field values on selected points of mesh patches.
- Other: Case re-load optimisation for selective loading of modified components only.
If not a user of HELYX already or if you would like to learn more about this new version, check out the HELYX product page to learn more.
Sources: Press materials received from the company and additional information gleaned from the company’s website.