October 12, 2022
Chaos launches V-Ray 6 for Cinema 4D, expanding artistic control on everything from particles to the sky. C4D users can now access production-ready features like V-Ray Enmesh, the new procedural clouds system and V-Ray Decal.
V-Ray Decal can project anything, from 3D stickers and labels to weathering elements like cracks, stains and scratches onto any surface in a few clicks. Decals can be applied at angle. A displacement setting is also available for when users want more realism.
VRayEnmesh is a new system that repeats geometry across the surface of an object in a memory-efficient way. With Enmesh, artists can start treating geometry like a texture, creating patterns like panels, fences and fabrics that are ready for their close-up. Enmesh is so easy on the memory, users can add billions of polygons to a scene without compromise.
Procedural Clouds have been added to the V-Ray Sun and Sky system, removing the need to settle for a static HDR or a cloudless sky. Artists can now customize their scenes, taking advantage of ray-traced lighting, ground shadows and volumetric effects as they animate.
Additional updates include:
- Particle rendering support—Quickly render particles based on parameters such as size, speed and color. Create various effects—from splashes to sparks.
- ACEScg Support—Gain a wider color palette with ACEScg color-encoding system with automatic adjustments for textures, dispersion, sun and sky, and more.
- Finite Dome Light —Fine-tune scale and depth of product designs/HDRI renders with the V-Ray Dome Light’s new, flexible ground projection capabilities.
- Light Cache in IPR—The output of V-Ray’s Interactive Production Renderer (IPR) is now identical to the production renderer.
- Better Reflections—With new energy compensation updates, rough metals and surfaces will look more realistic.
- Better Translucent Materials—Render frosted glass and marble faster with V-Ray Material’s new illumination mode.
- Thin-Film Materials—A new thin-film layer has been added to the V-Ray Material, making it easy to create iridescent materials like soap bubbles and oil spills.
- Panorama Viewer—Panoramas can now be explored and edited in the V-Ray Frame Buffer (VFB), without needing third-party tools.
- Composition Guides—With a new proportions layer, pick the right camera angle with the help of visual guides like the rule of thirds and the golden spiral.
- VFB IPR Selections—Materials, objects and focal points can now all be selected while rendering, with a simple mouse click.
Pricing and Availability
V-Ray 6 for Cinema 4D is available now for Windows, Mac OS and is compatible with Cinema 4D versions R21 to 2023. All V-Ray subscription plans work for all supported host applications, including Cinema 4D, Maya, Houdini, 3ds Max, Nuke, Revit, Rhino, SketchUp and Unreal. Pricing can be found on the Chaos website.
Sources: Press materials received from the company and additional information gleaned from the company’s website.